Rainbow yarn

I finally finished the first half of some really bright merino supper wash roving from Play at Life Fiber Arts. I needed to get it off my Two Tails Spindle before the Tour de Fleece starts.

I droped it the other day and the cop slid down revealing the pretty layers of color.


I rewound it onto a bobbin from one of my wheels. I put the bobbin onto my louet and put the drive band over the whorl on the bobbin (its from my double drive wheel) Then I tried letting the spindle sit gently on my hands, but found that winding the singles on as if I was going to Andean ply works much better. Since the cop is not evenly wound the spindle needs to constantly rotate at different speeds in the first method making it a bit awkward, especially when you get towards the end.


Then I might have borrowed the pretty “new” wheel to ply on. We went outside and I quickly Navajo plied it up. I seriously don’t know how you could Navajo ply on a wheel without a tensioned Kate.


It looks much nicer now that its had a bath and has dried out… but I’m too lazy to take new pictures.

rainbow yarn


DIY Andean Plying Tool

I got my order from Corgi HIll today. I got a very pretty merino, tussah and firestar batt in “Tiffany Tango” (Turquoise, brown and cream) It came with a mini chunk of BFL and silk roving in shades of blue. I promptly started spinning it on my wheel.


I wanted to Andean ply, but didn’t feel like strangling my fingers in the process. I lack an Andean plying tool, so I decided to make my own.


I traced my wrist and up to the base of my thumb and pinky finger and used that combined with the picture of the plying tool to come up with the shape. I cut out two picees of cardboard in that shape (I used a priority mail box) and sandwiched a size 7 knitting needle inbetween the cardboard.

I wrapped the “wrist” bit with a heavy duty hair elastic, but a rubber band would work as well. Then I proceeded as normal for Andean plying. When I finished wrapping I pulled the needle out and then used the bracelet on my own wrist because that seemed easiest.


I would use a more finger sized needle next time… I’m not sure why I just would. I would also let the singles sit for a bit as they where really kinky. I didn’t do a steller job plying, but it was good stress relief.