I’ve been busy enjoying summer and starting the school year. I’ve mostly been letting the bees be bees and leaving them to their thing. At the begining of September they only had 2 bars of nectar and no capped honey except for a little bit in the honey crown of brood combs. So I started feeding them and they have been building comb like gang busters and storing away the syrup and hopefully some real food from plants. They are still foraging pretty heavily.
There have been yellow jackets and ants hanging out under the hive. My guess is there is some syrup dripping though the screened bottom board and onto the pavers below the hive. Today I decided to try putting the feed jars inside of a silicone baking dish that I don’t use anyway. I set my two scraps of wood in the dish then my upsidown jars with holes poked in the lid on top of that. Hopefully this doesn’t end with a lot of drowned bees.