Little Green Monster

As I watch all the posts and reports of people’s honey harvests coming in I can’t help but feel a little sad that I do not have any of my own honey. I feel selfish for my disappointment and will remind myself that there is always next year. Now I will continue to feed the living daylights out of them and watch the resulting explosion of comb building.

Advertisements

Long time no blog

I’ve been busy enjoying summer and starting the school year. I’ve mostly been letting the bees be bees and leaving them to their thing. At the begining of September they only had 2 bars of nectar and no capped honey except for a little bit in the honey crown of brood combs. So I started feeding them and they have been building comb like gang busters and storing away the syrup and hopefully some real food from plants. They are still foraging pretty heavily.

IMG_7902

There have been yellow jackets and ants hanging out under the hive. My guess is there is some syrup dripping though the screened bottom board and onto the pavers below the hive. Today I decided to try putting the feed jars inside of a silicone baking dish that I don’t use anyway. I set my two scraps of wood in the dish then my upsidown jars with holes poked in the lid on top of that. Hopefully this doesn’t end with a lot of drowned bees.

IMG_7904

Orginizing my Tools

My hardware store was selling off the drawers that used to hold screws/nuts/bolts, so I grabbed one to house my fibery tools.

IMG_0011

It has nice little dividers in the drawers so I can separate out the different pieces to my interchangeable sets.

IMG_0009

And now my old organizational jars, tins, and buckets have no use.

IMG_0010

Fall Bees

I went in to check out my bees yesterday. I wanted to see how they where doing for honey stores. Saddly they really don’t have a whole lot stored and I was forced to decide on feeding them. I really would prefer not to feed them, and I would never take all their honey and leave them with only sugar water. However, given the choice of feed or let them starve this winter I choose feed. I gave them a pint mason jar of feed since the quart jar did not fit and they drank most of it by nightfall. For feeding I punch holes in the mason jar lid and set it upside-down on scraps of wood at the back of the hive. Next time they’re getting two jars.

I also saw my queen for the first time ever. I didn’t have my camera, but Jake got two very blurry cell phone pics to commemorate the event. She was missing the blue dot on the back of her head, so I’m not sure if she is the same queen I put in or not. I wonder if its possible that the bees already had made their own queen who did away with the queen I gave them. Either way, there is a queen and that makes me happy.

The bees have decided that the birdbath is a good place to get drinks. (In fairness there is no real way to tell if these are my bees or bees from somewhere else. They did fly back in the direction of my hive)

IMG_0021

Surgery

I decided to drop down to the section that needed fixing. This is kind of tricky with lace and cables because the stitches move around, and you can’t just drop down directly above the mistake. What I do is look for an unmoving column of stitches on either side of my woopsie. Because of the way the twisted rib columns come to a point, this is a bit tricky. I followed the last twisted stitch up to the point, which is also where the row of purls ended.

knit surgery

This means that If I drop it where the two red lines meet I should have the portion I need to fix. Now for the tricky part. There are double decreases forming the point, so if I drop it there it will have all that stuff between the twisted rib columns, I would prefer to drop just what i need to fix my mistake. To deal with this I slipped the two leftmost stitches from the double decrease back onto the left needle. and saved them until I got back to that row. I have to apologize for the lack of pictures, but I didn’t want to jinx myself by getting cocky. I used a second set of needles to knit my way back up. DPN’s or short straights would be ideal for the task.

It looks a little bit wonky still. I have been working on spreading out the loosey goosey stitches that happened as a result of the process, and by the time it is all blocked out it will be hardly noticeable.

I am down to 7 rows to the body of the shawl and I am really starting to feel a bit burnt out.